Founded by Johann Christoph Voigtländer in the year 1756 in Vienna (Austria), it was the first factory for optical instruments and precision mechanics there.
In 1763 the company got protection by a decree from Austria's Empress Maria Theresia.
In 1797 the state allowed Voigtländer to produce measuring instruments.
In 1823 they got a royal privilege to produce opera binoculars. Read more | Forum